I thought I would start with a bit of background history as to how I have found myself to be in this position.
I am a 44 years old busy mum, balancing home and work life. On 9th July it was my day off, my children were at school, my husband at work. I had the day all planned to get the house jobs done.
Half an hour into my jobs I slipped whilst RUNNING down the stairs, yes running down the stairs. How many times do I say to my children don't run on the stairs?!
I slipped and twisted around and found myself sat looking up at the stairs. I looked at my leg, it did not look good. Somehow I managed to get down the rest of the steps and get to the phone. The pain was very intense. I found my inner strength to focus on what I needed to do. Yes I did scream! But that's was a good sign I thought to myself. I did a lot of controlled deep breathing, followed by some screaming whilst waiting for an ambulance.
I managed to get hold of my husband on the phone and he arrive just before the ambulance. The ambulance crew were amazing and placed my leg in a splint whilst using Entonox.
In ED I had X-rays and pain relief. I was given the news that I had a broken distal Tibia, the break being near my foot. I had also sustained a fracture to my fibia, which apparently is common for a spiral fracture with the twisting motion.
During my time in ED they manipulated the broken leg and applied a temporary plaster using Entonox. The process was intense at the time but once the plaster was on I felt safer and had some comfort.
I was admitted to a Trauma Orthopaedic ward and to await surgery.
I was lucky to be on the list for surgery the following day. I was planned for a TL-HEX External Fixator frame.
I was very pleased that I made a good recovery from the anaesthetic. I was off my IV drip and eating and drinking quite quickly.
I set myself goals to achieve. They were very basic;
Drink at least the two jugs of water, 2 litres daily.
Ditch the tea & coffee and drink milk instead.
All meals must contain good source of Protein and Vitamin C from the hospital menu.
No comments:
Post a Comment